Saturday, January 7, 2012

PORTLAND!

I have arrived!
On Wednesday I moved to the beautiful city of Portland. It was a long, but gorgeous drive, well, at least the last couple hours were gorgeous. The trees were beautiful. For those of you who live in Utah and haven't seen a tree in a while they look like this:
See? Trees.

Of course they don't look like that in the inner city where I live. There you just see buildings everywhere. Lots of buildings. And lots of one way streets. Mom and Dad loved driving in downtown Portland!
My apartment is the cutest ever. It is only 1/2 mile away from my school and everything is in walking distance.
This is my air bed. I didn't bring any furniture with me so I brought an air bed instead.
 It is actually really comfortable! 
This is the desk I got from Ikea. More Ikea furniture to follow in the future.

This is my cute little kitchen. If you look close enough you might be able to see my little sushi magnets. 

This is just the other side of the apartment. Not much to see except for the closet and I was not going to open the door for the picture. 
The walls are this taupe/peach color that I'm not sure what to do with. It looks more pink in real life.

Mom and Dad were with me the past few days and we went and saw the sights. We drove all the way to the coast and saw a lighthouse. An honest to goodness lighthouse! They haven't used it since the sixties, but it was still cool.

We couldn't see too far out though because it was foggy and cold. Most of my pictures were just of mist, but here is a halfway decent one of the cliffs:
If it wasn't so cold I would've been tempted to wade in the water.

Near the coast was the small town of Tillamook, land of the yummy cheese. We went to the cheese factory and it was awesome. They had lots of cheeses to taste as well as Tillamook ice cream and Tillamook fudge. It was all very tasty!

We also went to the Portland Temple. It was gorgeous and thanks to this foggy picture it looks pretty heavenly too.


Oregon is different from Utah. I knew it was "eco-friendly" but I didn't realize how much until I moved here. The stores only use paper bags, you aren't allowed to pump your own gas, EVERYONE carries a coffee cup, and recycling is a must. I had to put a list of things that can be recycled on my fridge because I feel like if I do it wrong the recycling police will come after me. There is a general feeling in the air that the world will end if I throw away the wrong thing. I'll have to look over my shoulder every time I go out to the garbage can.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Missy, it looks so fun! I can't wait to come for a visit!

Heather Dixon said...

"See? Trees." Hahahaha

Also: the eco-police. I don't blame you for being scared!

I love what you did with the desk & shelving space.

Will you paint?

Heather Dixon said...

I can't believe you still kept the m&m jars

dixon.mary said...

I miss you already!!!
You apartment looks adorable, and the color of your walls (I swear) is the same as my kitchen. Does school start this week? So many questions! I'll email..

Melisa Grace said...

I'm soooo excited for you!!! But I definitely can tell that Utah just doesn't feel the same without you!!! I love your apartment, it does look like it has some decorating potential. I can't wait to see photos of the home you transform the place into! Keep me updated on things!!! oh, and text me anytime too! Miss and love ya.

Julie said...

The area around Portland really is beautiful. I can understand why people work so hard to be green. It's almost converted me to treehugger-ism! Thanks for letting us come with you Missy!

Post a Comment