Friday, May 7, 2010

Orchids

Pretty, aren't they?
I wonder if they will last.
Last week Sarah and I walked into Smiths and in their floral section they had a plethora of orchids. I love orchids. I think they are sooooooo pretty! I not only love them for their beauty, but for that fact that Nero Wolfe likes them and I like Nero Wolfe. But I like them because they are pretty too.
Sarah and I stopped to admire them and I fell in love with this little yellow orchid plant. As we wandered around the store I talked myself into buying them. I did and I love them. They look great in my room. But there will be heartbreak in my future. Here's why:
I can't grow anything.
When I try to grow something, it dies.
A good example is the amaryllis. Years ago Mom gave me an amaryllis kit. It's one of those boxes that you can buy in the winter time. All you have to do is plant it, water it once a week, leave it alone, and in a few weeks you get a beautiful flower. Anyone can grow it, I was told. Well, I planted mine, and watered it faithfully every week and it grew a little, then it died. Anyone can grow it my foot.
Since then I haven't dared let my very not green thumb near any plant life. But as I was driving home with my orchid I decided that was going to change. I was just considering what I was going to name my orchid (because I name everything) when Sarah said out loud "You better not name them because they're going to die."
I decided not to name them.
Now it is a matter of keeping them alive. They have lasted a week so far. How far will they go?

3 comments:

Heather Dixon said...

I think I'd better not place a bet on how long they will last, because I'd sabotage the plant to win.

PS GORGEOUS PICTURE

Tom Dixon said...

So does that mean you named it "noname"?

Darling Bookworm said...

Now they are dead! you named them! I TOLD YOU SOOO! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
love, sarah

Post a Comment